The regular meeting of the faculty of the Department of Statistics was held on Zoom at 12:30pm, October 18, 2021. Abel Rodriguez, Department Chair, presided at the meeting. Kristine Chan was recording secretary.
The Chair reported the following items:
- Interim department report: The deadline for this review is February 1, 2021. The report needs to address the points outlined in the final recommendations letter from the last academic program review. Critical issues detailed in the report include competitiveness of Ph.D. funding packages and department climate.
- Faculty searches:
- The search for Assistant/Associate Teaching Professor has been approved by the College. Job ads for this position have been posted on various websites. The committee for this search is Adrian Dobra (chair), Yen-Chi Chen, Zaid Harchaoui and Ranjini Grove. Prof. Dobra has reached out to other Chairs from other departments regarding this position. They have set the application deadline to December 15, 2021. They plan to have a long-list ready by the beginning of January 2022 and then a short-list by mid-January 2022. In-person or virtual interviews will be determined following the guidance of UW’s COVID response.
- The request for a tenured-track Assistant Professor search this year was denied due to the low retirement rates the previous year. The Dean also suggested that departments of our size should have tenure searches once every two-years.
- There will be a continuous search for Lecture Part-Time (Temporary) positions for every quarter. This is meant to make the recruitment process for these positions more transparent.
- Faculty peer reviews for teaching: The Chair has sent out the peer review assignments for Autumn quarter 2021. The opt-out option will be available this quarter but moving forward, starting Winter 2022, the opt-out option will no longer be available and teaching instructor will be required to give/have peer evaluations.
- ASE offer changes: There has been a change in the ASE job description for TAs and RAs that is meant increase transparency around the amount effort involved in duties associated with each specific class. The Chair recommended faculty to go over the description with their students directly before signing the form to make sure everyone is on the same page. An “expected effort” field has been added but will not be required any until next quarter (Winter 2022).
- Graduate student funding: The Chair also asked faculty to be flexible with moving funding around with RAs due to the issue of TA assignments.
Revised concurrent/part-time MS requirements: A document was shared, initiated by the TCC, that aims at clarifying the admission and graduation requirements for the program, as well as introduce minor changes. Faculty present provided their feedback on the wording recommendation by the TCC, came to an agreement, and approved of the new wording to be reflected on the department website and university catalog.
Faculty present discussed the renewal of department faculty HR policies. A catalyst poll was later sent to them to record the votes for approving the policies.
There being no other items to discuss, the meeting moved on to an Executive Session at 1:30pm, and the meeting was adjourned at 2:00pm.