Faculty and graduate students in the Consulting Program of the Departments of Biostatistics and Statistics offer free statistical advice to University of Washington faculty, staff, and students through scheduled 50 minute consulting appointments during academic quarters when class is in session. They provide assistance with:
- the design of studies and experiments, including the preparation of grant proposals
- data visualization and presentation
- choice and application of statistical methods
- development of specialized statistical methods in some cases
The consultants have experience primarily with the R statistical analysis system, but they work with clients using whatever statistical package is most convenient for them.
Please note that Statistical consulting is for study design and data analysis advice, not software tutorials.
Consulting is available by appointment only.
To schedule an appointment:
- Check availability in the UW Statistical Consulting Service Calendar for "OPEN" appointments, then
- Choose an online Problem Description Form below, then complete and submit it electronically:
• For Statistics, click here.
• For Biostatistics, click here.
- Once you submit a completed online Problem Description Form, the Scheduler will schedule your appointment and email confirmation to you.
When requesting time slots, it would be helpful to state 2-3 preferences since we receive multiple requests from clients. You are required to submit a problem description form each time you work on a new project. If you are looking to schedule a follow-up appointment, you are welcome to contact the departments by email (see below).
Extensive hands-on assistance with data analysis is not generally available without funding, although staff can often provide direct assistance with "small" data analysis projects. Certain larger projects can sometimes be addressed as independent study projects for select graduate students. University researchers with a need for assistance and with substantial data analysis are welcome to contact the program directly via emails below with details of their scientific problem.
Fee-based consulting on major projects is also provided by the Center for Biomedical Statistics in the U.W. Institute of Translational Health Sciences.
|Department of Biostatistics
|Department of Statistics