Internships and CPT

Engaging in an internship is a great way to explore careers, expand your professional network and gain valuable experience by applying the knowledge learnt in class to the “real world”. The Department of Statistics considers internships an integral part of the training, and students can get credit towards their degree by enrolling in STAT 497.  

The Department will evaluate internships' offers and, if considered inherent to the major, an add-code for STAT 497 will be issued. At the end of the internship, credits for STAT 497 will be awarded. If your internship is not integral to the Statistics major, but can be considered to be at least 50% engineering, you might want to explore the options available through the Engineering Internship Program.  Alternatively, the Community Engagement and Leadership Education Center offers the opportunity to earn credit for the demonstrated learning derived from an internship experience. 

If you are an international student on an active F-1 visa status, you must apply for a Curricular Practice Training (CPT) before you engage in an internship. The CPT serves as a work authorization as students engage in different types of activities related to their major. Please, review the UW ISS page regarding the CPT process. If you have questions about the process, you should refer these to your ISS adviser.


STAT 497 and CPT process summary


Minimum requirements to be eligible for internship credits and CPT

  • Be a declared STAT major at the time you are requesting enrollment in STAT 497. For example, if you are admitted to the program during the Spring quarter, you will be a declared STAT major effective Summer (if registered) or Autumn quarter. 

  • Must have completed STAT 341 before requesting enrollment in STAT 497.   

  • Have made satisfactory progress in all quarters as a STAT major (see Continuation Policy) 

 Please make sure you satisfy the requirements before applying for internship credits/CPT, we cannot make exceptions regarding eligibility requirements. 

When to apply for internship or CPT credits

  • Students who want to enroll in STAT 497 must submit the “Internships Credits” request form after receiving an offer letter and at least two weeks before the start of the internship. If students also need CPT, then they need to make the request at least two months before the intended start date. If applicable, ask your prospective employer to postpone your start date. 

  • International students must enroll in STAT 497 in order to submit a CPT request through ISS. 

  • Students must be enrolled in the quarter of the opportunity. Students enrolling in summer internship can defer enrollment to the following Autumn quarter. 

  • Full-time internships and full-time CPT positions will only be approved for the summer quarter. Internships and CPT applications during the academic year must be for part-time opportunities.  

  • Students can earn 2 credits of STAT 497 for a full-time CPT and 1 credit of STAT 497 for a part-time opportunity. 

How to apply for internship credits

Once you have been offered a position, please fill out the Microsoft form linked below to obtain Department approval. If you are an international student, do not accept any offers before your internship has been approved as relevant to your studies by the Statistics Department and your CPT has been approved by the ISS.   

The request form will require you to include whether you need a CPT or not, the original job posting and a detailed training description from your employer. The description must be written on the company’s letterhead, be addressed to you, include a job title, provide a detailed job description (minimum a few sentences describing specific duties), the street address where employment will take place, number of hours you will work per week and the start and end dates of the employment. 

If you have read and understand the information necessary to apply for CPT, use this request form, while if you do not need CPT but you would like to get internship credits, proceed to this request form.  Please, send an email to once you have submitted the form. If you are an international student, do not fill out the UW ISS CPT request form until your internship has been approved by the Statistics Advising Office. If you run into any problem, please email