This page provides information for international students, who are declared STAT majors and participating in Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Please read the information carefully.
Students on F-1 visas should first review the UW ISS website regarding the CPT process. If you have questions about the process, you should refer these to your ISS adviser. https://iss.washington.edu/employment/f1-employment/cpt/
• The STAT Advising Office will NOT review internships or job postings for CPT authorization before you have been offered the position.
• We do not make exceptions regarding eligibility requirements. Applicants who do not meet the requirements will be denied.
• CPT requests must be made at least a quarter before your intended start date. That is, you must apply in spring quarter for a summer CPT. Additionally, the process will take approximately 3 weeks from when you submit the STAT Program CPT request form to completion of the ISS process. If applicable, ask your prospective employer to postpone your start date
• You should be certain that the CPT will be approved by the Department before you accept the offer.
• Do not fill out the UW ISS CPT request form until you receive approval from Statistics Advising.
Minimum requirements to be eligible for CPT request in STAT:
• Be a declared STAT major at the time you are requesting CPT. For example, if you are admitted to the program during spring quarter, you will be a declared STAT major effective summer (if registered) or autumn quarter.
• Have made satisfactory progress in all quarters as a STAT major (see Continuation Policy)
• Must be enrolled (12 credits) in the quarter of the opportunity for the required CPT program course credit.
How to apply for CPT
Once you have been offered a position, please fill out the google form linked below to obtain approval. The STAT CPT request form will require you to include the original job positing and a detailed training description from your employer. The description must be written on the company’s letterhead, be addressed to you, include a job title, provide a detailed job description (minimum a few sentences describing specific duties), the street address where employment will take place, number of hours you will work per week and the start and end dates of the CPT employment.
Your curricular practical training needs to be integral to your major. On the CPT request form, you will also be asked to justify how your internship is related to the particular STAT option you are enrolled in. Please answer this question thoughtfully as it is an important component of the decision making process.
If you have read and understand the information necessary to apply for CPT, proceed to the google form. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org once you have submitted the form. We will not know that you have submitted a form otherwise.