Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training is an opportunity for students on F-1 visas to learn practical skills related to their majors while studying at the University of Washington. CPT serves as a work authorization as students engage in different types of activities related to their major. Common forms of CPT are listed below:

• Employment directly connected to your major

• A paid or unpaid internship

• A Cooperative (co-op) education experience

• Participation in a Practicum

This page provides information for international students, who are declared STAT majors and participating in Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  You should first review the UW ISS page regarding the CPT process. All students applying for CPT should have active F-1 visa status. If you have questions about the process, you should refer these to your ISS adviser.

Important notes:

Please read the following carefully.


  • The STAT Advising Office will NOT review internships or job postings for CPT authorization before you have been offered the position.  
  • CPT requests must be made at least a quarter before your intended start date. That is, you must apply in spring quarter for a summer CPT.  Additionally, the process will take approximately 3 weeks from when you submit the STAT Program CPT request form to completion of the ISS process.  If applicable, ask your prospective employer to postpone your start date


  • We do not make exceptions regarding eligibility requirements (see requirements below).  Applicants who do not meet the requirements will be denied.


  • Full-time CPT positions will  only be approved for summer quarter. CPT applications during the academic year must be for part-time  opportunities. 


  • Students can earn 2 credits of STAT 499 for a full-time CPT and 1 credit of STAT 499 for a part-time opportunity. 
  • Students MUST be enrolled  in the quarter of the opportunity for the required CPT program course credit. Students doing a CPT in the summer CANNOT defer credit to the autumn quarter.

Minimum requirements to be eligible for CPT request in STAT:

• Be a declared STAT major at the time you are requesting CPT.  For example, if you are admitted to the program during spring quarter, you will be a declared STAT major effective summer (if registered) or autumn quarter.

• Must have completed STAT 341 before requesting CPT.  

• Have made satisfactory progress in all quarters as a STAT major (see Continuation Policy)

How to apply for CPT

Once you have been offered a position, please fill out the google form linked below to obtain Department approval. Do not accept any offers before your CPT has been approved by the Department.  

The STAT CPT request form will require you to include the original job posting and a detailed training description from your employer. The description must be written on the company’s letterhead, be addressed to you, include a job title, provide a detailed job description (minimum a few sentences describing specific duties), the street address where employment will take place, number of hours you will work per week and the start and end dates of the CPT employment.

Your curricular practical training needs to be integral to your major. On the CPT request form, you will also be asked to justify how your internship is related to the particular STAT option you are enrolled in. Please answer this question thoughtfully as it is an important component of the decision making process. If your curricular practical training is not integral to your major in Statistics, but can be considered to be at least 50% engineering, you might want to explore the options available through the Engineering Internship Program.  Alternatively, the Community Engagement and Leadership Education Center offers the opportunity to earn credit for the demonstrated learning derived from an internship experience.

If you have read and understand the information necessary to apply for CPT, proceed to the google form. Please send an email to once you have submitted the form. Do not fill out the UW ISS CPT request form until you receive approval from Statistics Advising.