The statistics minor is open (not competitive or capacity constrained). It is an excellent option for quantitatively inclined students majoring in another (applied) discipline. The set of skills and understanding you gain could position you to be an especially valuable contributor in your chosen application field.
Some general guidelines follow.
Students wishing to pursue a STAT minor should wait to declare the minor until they complete coursework related to the minor. Your home department advisor will assist you with the process of declaring the minor.
The courses for the STAT minor often have many registration restrictions to prioritize MATH and STAT majors. The substantial increase in STAT majors may make it extremely difficult to complete the minor. Be aware of this potential bottleneck as you develop a course plan.
At most 5 credits used to satisfy the STAT minor may be applied to a student’s major. At least 20 credits used to satisfy the STAT minor must be taken at the U.W.
A minimum of 26 credits as follows:
- Core (21 credits): MATH 126 or MATH 136 ; STAT/MATH 394; STAT/MATH 395; STAT 390; STAT 302; either STAT/BIOST 425 or STAT/MATH 396.
- Electives (5 credits, 2 courses): typically from the list below
- CSE 142, CSE 143
- MATH 308, MATH 407, MATH 408, MATH 409, MATH 464
- ECON 482, ECON 483, ECON 485 (for an ECON, Business or FINANCE major)
- AMATH 352, AMATH 353 (only if both are taken)
- BIOST 514, BIOST 515 (for a Biological Science major and only if both are taken)
- Minimum grade of 2.0 in each course used to satisfy the minor requirements.
- At most 5 credits used to satisfy the STAT minor may be applied to a student’s major. At least 20 credits used to satisfy the STAT minor must be taken at the U.W.