At most one of the electives may be from another department (indicated as occasionally approved on the list below) with advisor approval.
- STAT 403 Introduction to Re-sampling Inference (always approved)
- STAT 425 Introduction to Non-parametric Statistics (always approved)
- STAT 427 Introduction to Analysis of Categorical Data (always approved)
- STAT 428 Multivariate Analysis for the Social Sciences (always approved)
- STAT 435 Introduction to Statistical Machine Learning (always approved)
- STAT 498 Special Topics (sometimes approved)
- STAT 564: Bayesian Statistics for Social Sciences (always approved)
- STAT 529: Sample Survey Techniques (always approved although student must also check with instructor prior to enrolling)
- STAT 524 Design of Medical Studies (occasionally accepted; student must also ask the instructor prior to enrolling)
- STAT 480 Sampling theory for Biologists (occasionally accepted; student must also ask the instructor prior to enrolling)
- STAT/MATH 396 Probability III (always approved).
STAT/MATH 395: Probability II (If STAT 340-341-342 and STAT/MATH 396 are completed, then STAT/MATH 395 and STAT/MATH 396 will both be approved as Electives.
- STAT/MATH 491 Intro to Stochastic Processes (always approved. )
- STAT/MATH 492 Stochastic Calculus for Option Pricing (always approved, however, only students interested in “financial mathematics” should consider this.)
MATH and AMATH
- MATH 464 Numerical analysis (occasionally approved for actuaries)
- AMATH 483 High Performance Scientific Computing (occasionally approved)
- MATH 407-408-409 Optimization (occasionally approved)
- MATH 424-425-426 Mathematical Analysis (occasionally approved for some students aiming at graduate degrees)
- MATH 427-428 Complex Analysis (occasionally approved)
- CSE 326 Data Structures (occasionally approved)
- CSE 331 Software Design and Implementation (occasionally approved)
- CSE 344 Introduction to Data Management (occasionally approved)
- CSE 373 Data Structures and Algorithms (occasionally approved)
- CSE 415 Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (occasionally approved)
- GEQG 426 Advanced Quantitative Methods (occasionally approved)
STAT/ECON Double Majors
- MATH 464: Numerical Analysis I (occasionally approved)
- ECON 422: Investment, Capital, Finance (occasionally approved)
- ECON 424: Computational Finance and Financial Economics (occasionally approved)
- AMATH 483: High Performance Scientific Computing (occasionally approved)
- Never Acceptable as Electives: STAT/CSSS /509/ECON 580, ECON 481, ECON 482, 483, MATH 309.